Before you have to start worrying about raking and bagging leaves later this fall, gather your sensitive paper documents and bring them to your Arsenal branch on one of the above dates between 9 a.m. and noon. When you arrive, American Document Destruction, a local business AAA certified by the National Association for Information Destruction, will shred all of your paper on-site so none of your personal information ends up in the wrong hands.
Some documents you can bring to your shred event include, but are not limited to:
- Old tax returns, pay stubs and reconciled account statements (if the latter item includes tax-deductible charitable donations, tuition costs, business or medical expenses, keep for seven years)
- Loan documents (after loans are paid in full)
- Cancelled and voided checks
- Paid utility bills
- Expired insurance policies
- Items with your signature
- Credit card offers
As a member, this service is free for you to use. Bring as many paper documents as you need to be shredded (within reason). This important service would most likely cost you money at an office supply store; one well-known local chain charges 99 cents per pound. Even if you have a shredder at home, ADD’s industrial shredder will save you a lot of time!
For help in deciding how long you should keep financial documents, here’s some advice from the National Endowment for Financial Education.